Distinguished Leadership Award
Since 1983, the AAMFT Research and Education Foundation has recognized persons who have provided outstanding contributions in promoting the development of the practice and the profession of marriage and family therapy within specific areas.
This award may be self-nominated by an AAMFT member or nominated by another AAMFT member. Nominator must submit a written statement (500 words max) detailing how the nominee has provided outstanding contributions in promoting the development of the practice and the profession of marriage and family therapy within specific areas.
Letter of Recommendation
All self-nominations require a letter of recommendation to be submitted with materials.
The award consists of:
- An engraved plaque presented at our Annual Conference;
- Reimbursement of up to $1,000 per recipient for travel to the AAMFT Annual Conference; and
- The conference registration fee will also be waived for the Annual Conference.
*AAMFT will reimburse up to the total of $1,000 for economy class airfare, transportation to/from airport/hotel, meals per AAMFT allowances for the one day of the ceremony, and one night's hotel stay at one of the AAMFT conference hotels (at the special discounted rate) for the night of the ceremony. You must submit itemized receipts upon your return from the conference. Alcohol will not be reimbursed.
How to apply: In order to qualify for this award, interested candidates must complete an online application.
Note: The AAMFT Annual Conference registration fee will be waived for all award recipients. In order to avoid the perception of a conflict of interest, anyone who is on the AAMFT, the AAMFT Foundation, or AAMFT sponsored payroll is ineligible to be considered for an award so long as that financial relationship exists. All award recipients must be members of AAMFT with the exception of those receiving the Excellence in Media award, and at least one author of the Outstanding Research Publication award must be a member.
Past Recipients of the Distinguished Leadership Award
- The Honorable Blanche Lincoln (2008)
- The Honorable Jesse Jackson, Jr. (2008)
- The Honorable Jerry Moran (2007)
- The Honorable Michael Michaud (2007)
- The Honorable Larry Craig (2007)
- The Honorable Craig Thomas (2006)
- Attorney General Janet Reno (1994)
- Anntonia Novello (1992)
- Faye Watteton (1991)
- William Nichols (1991)
- Ralph Earle (1991)